Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda Tonic Health Benefits - Ted's Q&A

Browse Ted's Q&A

Side Effects for Past 3 Days, Ph Okay - Help!

Posted by Mary (Los Angeles) on 01/12/2008 5 posts

I having taking ACV/Baking Soda, 2 Tbsp and 1/2 tsp respectively, twice a day for three days now. I've had weird feelings in my mouth, lips, and eyes. Then tonight, my face suddenly started to feel like it was buring and then my tongue and lips started to tingle. Now my whole mouth, including my teeth tingles and my eyes are burning. The face has cooled somewhat. I was wondering am I having an allergic reaction to this remedy? I've been checking my pH all day with a strip and it's been very good, not acidic, whereas yesterday, it was very acidic. So I'm so down because I was actually feeling so hopeful, and now this. I'm a little scared right now...thank you for your answers.

Replied by Ted
Bangkok, Thailand
383 posts

Dear Mary: Although most people won't experience the acidity that you are experiencing. The alkalizing effect can in some instances causes the body to release stored acid waste which doesn't happen that much, but more likely a rare allergic reaction to apple cider vinegar. Certain brands do happen, whenever some unscrupulous manufacturers add preservatives, or toxins were introduced in the manufacturing process.

In any case in that event, I will just keep it simple and try 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda plus 1/8 teaspoon of potassium bicarbonate (or potassium citrate) in 1/2 glass of water. I will also take some magnesium citrate 250 mg taken only 4 days out of a week. This will at least keep most of those electrolytes in balance. A maintenance dose of magnesium might then be taken for only once or twice a week. A potassium, once it is in place will be taken maybe twice a week or once a week. However, it takes about 2-3 weeks for the body to achieve equilibrium which whatever stored acid is in the body. And hence a simpler baking soda (and some potasium) plus the use of this as a mouthwash in the initial week or two should resolve nearly all of the problems from such use.

Potassium is responsible for controlling pH of saliva, so a dietary low in potassium might be responsible for the acid saliva, while the sodium for most of the extracellular fluids.

The other thing I have found helpful in more stable pH (mostly it's the thiamine B1, there are others), is the vitamin B complex, the B50 form where most of the vitamin Bs are 50 mg each. Those are taken, at least initially about 3 or 4 days in a row, then thereafter, once a week as a maintenance dose.

It is very difficult to cover every aspects of metabolic acidosis, but one area has to do with irregular breathing, ideally at 10 breaths per minute. So counting just only on the inhale side, comes to about 10 inhale/minute, or inhale every 6 seconds which also is exhale every 6 seconds. By doing this the body can quickly alkalize itself further.

One common denominator of metabolic acidosis, I have found was triggered with eating certain restaurant foods, white bread, white flour, bad car traffic (carbon monoxide), kerosine oil heating, defective hot water heater improperly burned (carbon monoxide), using too much paints (certain methanol are used as thinner), and other hydrocarbon poisoning. In some cases I thought it was apple cider vinegar and baking soda causing the problem, but further investigating I found to be common toxins that I have overlooked, such as sudden acidosis from just eating an overcooked barbeque beef, or something as innocuous as eating a loaf of raisin bread. The reason I know this is during one of my many experiments, I take notes into the acid reaction from eating common foods. The most dangerous one is that sometimes companies, or even certain restaurants inappropriately added aspartame which can cause the body to be acid for many weeks.

The antidote, that I have found from these poisons is sodium thiosulfate which neutralizes most of these poisons but still the vitamin B complex is needed to help the body recover too. The dose varies, but a nice conservative dose of sodium thiosulfate 10% solution is about 5-10 drops per glass of water. Of course in event of a poisoning from alloxan in the bread,and other toxins, I may need more such as one small crystals of sodium thiosulfate in a 1/2 glass of water. Initially it will have some laxative effect when the body detoxifies, but the nice thing about it is it improves the skin complexion the very next day as toxins are reduced and this is reflected in the skin condition.

The sodium thiosulfate can be obtained from an aquarium fish shop, clearly labeled, without food coloring, and it's concentration, while unlabeled are usually 5-20%. It smells like rotten egg. It is also sold in swimming pool suppliers and camera supply shops labeled as hypo. This is not to say I recommend anything, I usually buy them from a chemical suppliers usually USP grade, or B.P. grade sodium thiosulfate as being the most practical. While the others, I might use them for external purposes, such as in a bathtub to help detoxify.

An appropriate substitute if sodium thiosulfate can't be located anywhere or a close one is the soy milk which has sulfides which reduces toxins caused by metabolic acidosis. A 1/4 piece bar of baking chocolate, which is unsweetened, and 100% cocoa, can also have a positive aspect on pH too, but then I don't take it that often for the chocolate, I take it when I need them. It's the flavonoids antioxidant that help normalizes the problematic pH, from all the toxins introduced in our food and water, such as chlorinate and fluoridated water (yes it causes the body's pH to be acid), getting a cold virus (it inflames the gladular system that controls the blood sugar, hence an effect on pH). This is just a bird's eye view of what is going on.

Finally it helps to detoxify further with maybe some iodine drops (5 drops per 1/2 glass of water) used as a mouthwash for once or twice a week, and perhaps a maintenance once a week at least so that the iodine will detoxify and I have seen to further help normalize problematic pH.

These I have mentioned is advance pH control, if I should blood sugar problem or a victim of chemical toxins found in food. Aspartame is the most dangerous of them all in both blood sugar and metabolic acidosis. Painters as an occupation have short lives because of methanol alcohol, which works similarly with aspartame, as well as paint thinners that gets absorbed in the skin and can lead a lifelong metabolic acidosis with all the sickness of CFS, yeast infection, fungus growth, whenever they are uncontrollable. Hope this helps!"

MARY FOLLOWS UP:
1/16/2008: Mary from Los Angeles, CA "Just wanted to say that once I took the apple cider vinegar out and took the baking soda alone as Ted suggested, the pains and burning in my face and mouth area stopped. I guess I was having a negative (allergic?) reaction to the ACV. Thanks to Ted. I also need to get the rest of the supplements and the potassium citrate to add to the baking soda and I will let everyone know how it goes. My pH has not stabilized yet, but it hasn't gone to the 5.0 range (where my pH was before starting baking soda). I've also started to drink soy milk and grinding my vitamins and I can't say for sure yet, but my hair loss does seem to be under control.


NEXT