Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy: Benefits and Side Effects - Ted's Q&A

Browse Ted's Q&A

Laminitis From Hydrogen Peroxide Possible?

Posted by WM (Alloway, NJ--US) on 06/23/2008

It is reported that sunlight, ozone and moisture produce hydrogen peroxide (HP). If this is so then horses grazing in the early morning are exposed to H2O2. It is also suspected that moisture on the grasses also contain high fructan (sugars). And it is suspected that these sugars are a triggering mechanism of Laminitis (Barbaro-Seabisquit etc). Can ingested H2O2 be a cause of Laminitis in horses??

Replied by Ted
Bangkok, Thailand
06/25/2008
383 posts

For me the problem is that laminitis don't happen if horses are fed in the wild free from environmental pollutants, heavy metals, chlorides and fluorides. Typically people who raise grass aren't aware that certain hardy grasses are a real problem and should be aware what certain kinds of grasses leads to laminitis. This happened very clearly in cases of Kangaroos that resulted in sickness and eventual death, after feeding them with signal grasses. There is a way probable way to find out what kinds of grasses are safe for horses as they have good instinct in finding what kinds of grasses are safe. So the issue appears to be toxins in certain kinds of grasses, not just the carbohydrate or fructan arguments, see further information kangaroo's findings here, that resulted in their death just from eating grasses of certain species.

http://lyndastaker.hainsnet.com/pages/helping_kangaroos.html

Give animals a choice of grasses may be one way to find what is causing it.

As to the issue of glucose intolerance leading to laminitis from the excessive use of herbicide and nitrate fertilizers as being the cause, this can be proven easily after an ingestion of herbicide, the blood sugar goes up off the scale and the damages it does to the neurological disorders eventually lead to almost a near permanent condition of blood glucose intolerance, which leads to laminitis. This is why painters who do not eat sweets become diabetic from methanol and thinner use, or an automechanic who uses gasoline to wash engine machine parts, or even the aromatherapist who used too much eucalyptus oil, or even the healthy diet conscious who eats nothing but aspartame and artificial sugar becoming a diabetic. All these cases causes neurological damage leading to glucose intolerant, and I have seen so many times that I wondered why this issue was never addressed in other internet websites. Perhaps we rely excessively on controlled mainsteam media instead of our own empirical research.

As to the issue of hydrogen peroxide causing laminitis, the amount of hydrogen peroxide is so low that it is effect to cause laminitis not likely, typically it is often well below 0.01% that is below detection. As to fructans causing the laminitis, most of the problem appears to be that bacteria and certain fungus mycotoxins on the grasses, are a more likely explanation since they exist in relatively high amounts on moist grasses and grow very quickly in the presence of fructans and carbohydrate sugar. This is why washing hay and grass with water typically are safer for horses. If the mycotoxins holds, the amount of them is more toxic to the horse than it is for hydrogen peroxide anyway. In any event the fungus mycotoxins will more than neutralize any trace hydrogen peroxide there is.

Interestingly, I have many cases of people becoming diabetic and even animals from exposure to fungus, molds and mycotoxins than those eating sugar and fructans. These fungus and mycotoxin and perhaps water loving bacteria is what causes great intestinal flora imbalance or gut imbalances in the horses, leading to excessive lactic acid production, causing acid blood, leading to laminitis.

Therefore, a simple remedy to reduce laminitis and neutralizing lactic acid buildup is simple: 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda per liter of water. In larger amounts, we use the same ratio. Some sea salt added can also normalize the intestinal flora. However excessive chlorinated water can also lead to some glucose intolerant due to its effect on inflammation of glandular system and a dechlorinator added to the drinking water may help too.


NEXT