Eczema Becomes Mrsa

Posted by Dan on 05/31/2007

Dear Ted, Reading the Earth Clinic site, it seems that just about everyone has boils appear in the armpit, buttocks, etc. with no apparent provocation. My case is somewhat different and I wanted to run it by you. I had an eczema on my foot, it rubbed my sandal and next I know I have open sore that later a lab test identified later as MRSA. It was about 1" in diameter and gradually, over a period of two, three month become about 2 x 2 inches. It is there, but I don't have boils just popping all over my body or anything. What do you make of it? Incidentally, the lab test indicated that my strain is sensitive to Rifampin and Trimetho/Sulfa, I tried them and it made zero difference. No matter how low is my opinion of infection disease doctors, and it is low, I just find it hard to believe that hospital would miss out on the fact that MRSA is resistance to acid-base disinfectants. Are you saying also that all those commercial disinfectants with Chlorine that promise to kill 99.9% are all but useless? What is doubly painful is the fact that my toddler has MRSA, no real boils, or at least nothing obvious, but he does have red rush on a fairly large area. We have been trying different things on him and we are at wit's ends.

Replied by Ted
Bangkok, Thailand
383 posts

Dan: The hospital antiseptic system are almost entirely acid formulation making it ideal for MRSA to survive. You name it, chlorine(acid), glutaldehyde (acid), formaldehyde (acid), peroxide (acid), percitric acid (acid), and antibiotics (acid). What is even more depressing is the food preservative that we eat are acid or effective only in acid medium such as sodium benzoate (acid), potassium sorbate (acid),....I need not cover all, but you get the idea. As you can see with all the acid medium and acid antiseptic around, it makes for an ideal breeding grounds for MRSA to go places. Viruses such as AIDS are resistant to alcohol and acetone, and if you read carefully and do you homework, you can only kill them with boiling hot acetone! So, it makes for senseless or useless protection in using alcohol gels, that is required by today's hospital. The problem about in vitro tests (test tube) and in vivo test (real live sample) is that what they say to be effective is not because the MRSA HAVE A FOOD source from your body's fluids, which unfortunately are a somewhat lacking in test tubes nutritionally. MRSA also have a place to hide by attaching to skin cells. MRSA can exist in the blood, or can exist outside from localization and reinfection which exists in the house. MRSA is relatively difficult to kill using standard antiseptic procedures (look at norovirus) without modifying the antiseptic to be somewhat of a relatively alkaline solutions between 8 - 11 pH, using simple washing soda (sodium carbonate) 5%, plus magnesium chloride 10% or magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) and several drops of iodine until entire solution until it becomes a dull brown color.

First off, the washing soda modifies the pH to an alkaline solution which MRSA find it difficult to grow, the magnesium chloride is the antibiotic components which kills the MRSA, while the iodine solution (I prefer 3% hydroiodic acid, or colorless of sodium iodide and/or potassium iodide) prevents MRSA from attaching your skin cells. When this is rubbed on to a reddish skin for a couple of times this problem almost disappears entirely. It should be noted that MRSA may survive in laundry clothes after laundering and may further reinfection, especially coat jackets (winter clothes), which DO NOT often get laundered. Even some people DON'T even launder their sweaters for months! I used to live in a poor Puerto Rican neighborhood and this is how infections get spread. The issue appears to be proper laundering REQUIRES that Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate), Magnesium chloride, or Magnesium hydroxide be mixed into the detergent, or at least be soaked for a couple of hours BEFORE laundering, at the very least. While washing soda, and iodine are helpful, it is not absolutely needed unless you have complete supplies or your budget is bigger than mine. Colorless iodine is what I prefer and can take the form of potassium iodide and sodium iodide, since it won't cause staining issues.

So let us go back to basic, and for the babies red skin you mentioned. Sometimes a solution of colorless iodine (they don't cause staining), can be applied 3-4 times thinly every 5-10 minutes and rubbed off with cotton swab might do. At least it worked for me. Other solutions are possible, such as washing soda 5%, plus 10% magnesium chloride, and some iodine (1%) can be rubbed on with cotton swab. The effect of rubbing allows the MRSA to lossen its grip from the skin and at the same time killing them. It is a well known fact in even with doctors that if the frequency of application is done to keep the solution on the skin long enough, they die off within a day, almost completely. In my own case I applied every 15 minutes for a couple of times during the 6 hours period enough to kill at least most of them.

The issue about the feet and gloves is that shoes, gloves, garments that never was considered for laundry are also places where MRSA resides for reinfection. In which case you need the same solution to clean the insides of shoes, socks, gloves, and jacket. Those are the source of reinfection that should be considered the same way as people with fungus problems. Sometimes they even exists on the carpets, and on the floor. YOu will know. Certain areas of the floor they reside and the skin gets "rashes" almost within minutes after coming into contact.


NEXT