Biochem Questions For Ted About Vitamin C
I've been attempting to determine the best and most efficient way, in terms of max absorption and delivery into the body, of taking Vitamin C.
At the moment there are several ways to take it:
- Orally as Ascorbic Acid(very poor, limited absorption -- only 15% to 20%)
- Orally as Ascorbate (very poor gut absorption)
- Orally as Liposomal Vitamin C (same poor absorption as AA)
- Orally as Dehydroascorbic Acid (better than any of the above methods for absorption but completely dependent on cellular anti-oxidants)
- Topically using Ascorbate + DMSO. Allows for about 80% absorption of ascorbate directly into the blood
- Other methods using threonic acid or threonates(these are close cousins to AA) -- I know very little about these.
I'm also left with the conclusion that Dehydroascorbic acid(DHAA) and the DMSO + Ascorbate forms are probably the best to take in terms of max Vitamin C delivery into the body. I am also clueless as to whether the threonic acid or threonate forms would be even better.
I'm also left with the conclusion that seems to show DHAA to be of little use against cancer since the healthy human cell must contain adequate amounts of anti-oxidants, such as glutathione, in order to reduce the DHAA back to its more useful ascorbate form as a cellular anti-oxidant. However, cancer cell fluids are known to be heavily deficient in anti-oxidants so, once the DHAA enters the cancer cell, then there would probably be little or no reduction of DHAA to ascorbate occurring. Is this conclusion correct ?
Which is the best method and form of Vitamin C to take in terms of both max amount and efficient delivery into the body ?
I also know that adding lugol's iodine to vitamin C in solution also creates DHAA but that the amount that you can supplement in solution is limited to the amount of iodide that is also produced in this reaction
Can I use hydrogen peroxide safely to direclty oxdize ascorbate to the more useful DHAA and safely use this form orally in larger amounts?
I also hope that you and all your family are exceptionally well and that you remain 'hassle-free' !!
San Fernando, Philippines