Should I Worry About Allergic Reaction?

Posted by Carol (Cincinnati, OH) on 12/03/2006

I have a question, what if you have experienced an allergic reaction in the past when given and IVP? I got a blister on, of all places, my eyeball. Is there a was to build up tolerance to iodine? The reaction was around 30 years ago. Can I safely try just a little on my stomach to see is there is a reaction?

Replied by Ted
Bangkok, Thailand
383 posts

Dear Carol: Most people may have a reaction from the Intravenous pyelography (IVP) which is an iodine dye injecting directly into the body. Why would anyone use this?

Iodine foot painting is safer and often done only weekly. There is hardly any reaction of this unless it was done more than 4 days in a row.

The best way to use iodine (Povidone Iodine) is externally and allow iodine absorption transdermally. This way you DON'T have to worry about iodine tolerance since this is absorbed rather slowly.

In fact the iodine they sell in drug stores cannot be used for internal use since the solution is often an alcohol which is toxic to the body anyway. By applying to the skin, the alcohol will evaporate leaving whatever iodine it is to be absorbed.


NEXT